dancing trees


I often record different happenings, however mundane, like this one posted below. It's a time for me to sit in them, understand and experience them -- allowing me to think with them outside of my everyday ordinary experience. To create short narratives of place - or happenings.
The work of visual Anthropologist, Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier in recording and editing as a site of ethnographic experimentation has been highly influential in affirming and pushing my own ethnographic practices. Recording and editing sound and video is a time of reflection, of understanding, another vein through which ethnographic data can be collected but also through which it can be interpreted, understood, and translated. It's a site for testing. Creation for learning.

I interrupted my walk today to sit with the trees as they danced shedding their leaves in the wind. A beautiful moment in the life cycle that begs to be meditated in/on/with.

This is an unedited recording from my iPhone SE - I share this because of a peculiar moment caught. Notice about 45 seconds into the recording a cloud of pollen drifts into frame.  I was engulfed in the cloud of pollen. I tasted it.
It wasn't until I got home and played back my recordings did I notice that the pollen had also interrupted the recording device causing electronic interruption, heard through buzzing and cracking.

It has me thinking about the power of ecological processes that typically go unnoticed.
Pollen demands notice.
 

Comments